Many Clothing designers and new apparel Brands confuse between spec sheet and tech pack. Most believe both are the same. However, both are quite different.
What is a Specification Sheet?
A specification sheet contains the measurement details of a particular style that a clothing manufacturer needs to prepare the pattern. Some specification sheets also provide the measurement gradation between sizes and give the detailed size gradation for the garments. However, it does not say other details that goes in to apparel style detailing. Below is an example of a garment specification sheet. As you can see on the image the measurement spec sheet only reveals on measurement parameters. This only helps in creating the garment patterns and sample development.
What is A Tech Pack ?
So you must be wondering if we can use the measurement spec sheet to prepare the sample then why we need a tech pack ? Most apparel brands and clothing designers make the mistake by understanding measurement spec sheet is all the same as a tech pack. Tech Pack is a detailed instruction to create apparel starting from scratch. You must specify fabric details, washing and wash care, prints, labeling, packaging, – every small and important detail you can provide to a clothing manufacturer to make sure your production piece comes right. This gives complete information about the garment style to clothing manufacturer and will reduce time to produce and minimize costly errors and oversights.
Purpose of a tech pack
- Integrates all information that a manufacturer needs to produce your garment
- Ensures manufacturer and apparel brand are on the same page
- Leads to more accuracy and fewer rejections
- Saves time and money
- Protects against misinterpretation on style detailing
- Expressively improves efficiency and productivity
- Works as a de-facto contract between manufacturer and the client
What exactly do you include in a clothing tech pack?
- Rendered illustration – flat sketch ( front view – back view )
- Color combo – various color options of the garments
- Stitching & construction detailing (both front and back and close ups on features)
- Graphic /print detailing including Pantone color (style dependent)
- Embroidery/appliqué /other embellishment detailing
- Washing instructions
- Trims & packaging details
- Branding details
- Graphical measurement details with spec sheet pointers
- Measurement spec sheet and size gradation
It comes as no surprise that most professional and reputed garment manufacturing units insist on having well-constructed apparel tech packs to maximize productivity.
If you need assistance in creating your tech packs, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can provide you with a quote to create your tech pack.
Tech Pack Design Process
- You may send sketches or any inspirational pictures of your style(s) to create technical apparel design (Tech Pack and Spec Sheet)
- We would first proceed with styling and submit the flat sketch to you for approval and your comments and inputs
- We provide all technical apparel design files through Adobe Reader (PDF) files and Spec Sheet in Excel sheet
- Once we receive the comments and inputs we would then proceed with modification
- Give the final flats for approval
- We then require the colorways for the style(s)
- Once the flat sketch are approved and colorways for the styles are finalized, we would proceed with the Technical Design of the garments
- We would require the logo, trims design and branding detailing from your end (Vector file preferred) if you have these created (If not and you want us to do the branding for you we would do it).
- Once the flat sketches are approved and we proceed with the tech pack detailing , we would not accept any changes in between, as we have to change the whole detailing all over again